Customer Assistance Program (CAP), LIHWAP and SAFHR
MSD offers a 50 percent rate reduction to qualified low-income, elderly, and disabled customers under the Customer Assistance Program (CAP).
Para ver esta página en español, use Google Translate, copie y pegue la dirección de esta página web: https://msdprojectclear.org/customers/billing/customer-assistance-program/
Click here for information on the Federally funded Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) is a programs administered by the Missouri Housing Development Commission (MHDC), funded by federal government COVID stimulus packages. If the customer qualifies, a payment will be submitted to MSD on their behalf. Additional information can be found at https://www.mohousingresources.com/ .
To qualify for the Customer Assistance Program (CAP):
- A customer’s total annual income for the previous year must be less than 200% of the most recent Health & Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines, based on the size of household. A family of four, for example, must earn less than $60,000 to qualify.
- Disabled citizens and seniors must earn less than 250% of the most recent HHS poverty guidelines, based on size of household. For example, a single senior must earn less than $36,450 to qualify.
- The table below provides further details.
To qualify, a customer must also:
- Have liquid assets and real estate valued at less than $10,000, excluding their residence and automobiles. Homeowners who are older than 62 or disabled individuals are not subject to the liquid asset guideline.
- Own and/or reside as a tenant in the property that receives the rate reduction.
- Own or live in a single-family residence or multi-unit property up to six units.
- Complete an application form and submit it to MSD along with:
- Proof of all income sources for all persons living in your home. If you are self-employed, you will need to provide a copy of your most recent federal tax return.
- Proof of the amount(s) of any liquid assets or real estate, excluding your house of residence and automobile(s).
- Medical certification (if disabled), completed by a physician. The certification must include the physician’s name, address, telephone number, and ID/control number.
- Proof of age by submitting a copy of a valid government-issued identification (driver’s license, state, or military ID).
- Acceptance letter from other Energy Assistance Program such as LIHEAP.
- Copy of rental/lease agreement that states your responsibility for MSD sewer charges (for tenants only).
- Property owner’s notarized statement of tenant residence at the property (for tenants only).
- Once an application is approved, rate reductions begin on the first full month following approval. The rate reduction remains in effect for a period of two (2) years from the date of approval. A renewal application will automatically be sent 60 days prior to expiration date to all applicable customers.
- All applicants with a prior past due balance will need to make payment arrangements with MSD to qualify for the Customer Assistance program.
For more information, please call (866) 281-5737.
The 2022 Poverty Guidelines
|Persons in Family||Annual Income||Annual Income @ 200%||Age 62 and Older / Disabled
Annual Income @ 250%
|For each additional person, add||$5,140||$10,280||$12,850|