Got a sewer problem? We can help.
Managing St. Louis’ stormwater and wastewater systems is a round-the-clock job. Our 24-Hour Customer Service team is available 24/7 to respond to emergency service requests.
When should I contact MSD?
Contact MSD right away if you notice any of the following issues:
- Sewage backs up into your home or building through a floor drain.
- You smell sewage outside your home.
- A manhole cover is missing or out of place.
- Your stormwater inlet is blocked.
- The storm sewers along your street need to be cleaned or repaired.
- A cave-in or ground settlement develops in your yard or street near a sanitary or storm sewer.
Who should I contact?
- For Sewer Repair Services:
- For Non-Emergency Sewer Issues:
- For Billing and Account Information:
For other inquiries, use the form found on the Contact Us page to find answers and assistance for everything from billing questions to bidding questions, our next public meeting, or to request a tour.
Urgent Issues & MSD's Emergency Response
Urgent issues include raw sewage found inside or outside of the house, missing manhole covers, and flooded streets. Our emergency team aims to respond to 90% of urgent service calls within four hours. If you experience a basement backup or see a sewer overflow, blocked stormwater inlet, or suspect damage to a sewer pipe, please don’t hesitate to reach out to MSD customer service at (314) 768-6260. They may dispatch an investigator to discover whether MSD has the ability to alleviate the situation.
Response During Heavy Rainfalls
During especially heavy rainfall, we may receive hundreds of phone calls and must prioritize our response according to the immediate threats to community health and safety. Because of our limited resources, it may take from a few hours to a few days before a crew responds. In most cases, crews will not need to enter the customer’s home or business to respond to the complaint.
We also follow up on reports of non-urgent cave-ins and settlements, typically within a few weeks.