Currently, MSD does not raise and expend funds for capital stormwater projects. Meaning, MSD is only authorized to repair, maintain and operate the public stormwater system as it stands currently, and cannot improve the system with new additions. While stormwater infrastructure improvement funding is lacking, stormwater problems are not. District staff have investigated more than 3,000 stormwater related service requests since 2018. The District currently has identified almost 500 stormwater capital projects that are currently unfunded, totaling almost $500 million. The two major stormwater related issues in the region are erosion due to creeks or other waterways and instances of flooding that cause property damage and serve as a danger to the public.
Any change in MSD Project Clear’s ability to fund and address stormwater improvements must be decided by voters within its service area. MSD will be hosting several public townhalls regarding these types of stormwater issues. Staff will present information through a formal presentation. There will also be a heavy emphasis on public discussion to gain valuable input on how or if the public would like MSD to raise and expend funds on stormwater capital projects. Please register for one of the District-sponsored townhalls below by clicking on the date and time that is most convenient for you.
MSD Virtual Townhalls
Join MSD staff for a series of virtual townhalls regarding stormwater issues within the St. Louis region. These townhalls will feature a presentation from District staff who will also be taking questions from residents.
Click on the date you are available to register for one of our Zoom townhalls.
1. Wednesday, September 29 at 12:30pm
2. Wednesday, October 6 at 6:00pm
3. Thursday, October 7 at 6:00pm
4. Monday, October 25 at 6:00pm
5. Thursday, October 28 at 6:00pm
6. Tuesday, November 9 at 6:00pm
7. Wednesday, November 11 at 6:00pm
8. Monday, November 15 at 11:30am
9. Thursday, November 18 at 6:00pm
10. Tuesday, November 30 at 12:30pm
11. Wednesday, December 1 at 7:00pm
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on joining the townhall.
Erosion - Cedarhurst
Erosion - Vernal Hill
Flooding - Berwick
Erosion - Old Bonhomme Cemetery
Erosion - Laurel Bluffs
To move forward, MSD needs to answer five key questions during our current outreach efforts:
- Do our customers see a need to address stormwater problems like flooding and erosion?
- Do our customers want MSD Project Clear to provide stormwater solutions?
- Are our customers willing to pay for stormwater solutions?
- If so, how much are our customers willing to pay?
- If willing to pay, would our customers prefer to pay for stormwater solutions via impervious area tax or property tax?
We need your input. To make sure your opinion is heard, please fill out the Stormwater Survey.